Thursday 26 March 2009

Confused tulips and hardy planting


Tulip 'Praestans fusilier'

Ok this year is getting silly already, I have window boxes full of tulips in flower before most of my daffs have opened, bang goes my plan for a nice succession of colour.

In my last post I said i would tell you about the hardy plants I have been putting in my beds, well here's the list:
  • Condonopsis tangshen
  • Polygonatum striatum
  • Helenium sahins
  • Ratibida pinnata
  • Euphorbia nematocybha
  • Paeonia 'Buckeye blue'
I also still have 11 Penstemons to plant out.

In addition to this lot the seeds in the greenhouse all seem to be coming on well but it will be a few weeks before anything is ready to plant out.

I have also spent a bit of time recutting the edges to the various beds. It is amazing what a difference it makes simply defining the edges.

The picture below was taken from my office window yesterday whilst I was on yet another conference call (yawn!!). The light and the colour of the sky where both fantastic. If you study the picture carefully you will notice a blue carrier bag caught in the branches of our walnut tree. Has anyone got any suggestions as to how to get it down without me killing myself?


8 comments:

  1. A beautiful view from the window and no I have no idea how to get it down! gail

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, poke it with a very long stick? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought of a stick but its about 30 feet up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you are going to need some assistance from the wind or a squirrel to get that down. :) Your hardy plant list looks pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard of 'bottle trees' before, but this 'bag tree' is a new one. :) (Sorry, I know that is no help to getting the bag down!)
    Nice list. I just added polygonatum striatum to my garden this year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your tulips remind me of my own tulips that I killed :(. Love the vista from your office window! You're lucky! Ermmm... May be you could you the flower picker? I don't what it's called in English but we in India use a staff with a hook attached to its end to pick flowers and fruits from trees that aren't reachable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You could call the fire brigade and tell them there's a cat stuck up your tree. You could always say you're colour blind, and didn't realise cats weren't blue...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your tulips are gorgeous. Yeah Spring!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments.