Tuesday 10 March 2009

Back to work day

I have had a couple of days off, I spent Friday morning in the emergency eye clinic at our local hospital having various tests. They confirmed what I thought that I have the re-occurrence of the macular odema I had a few years ago. Basically this is a build up of fluid between the layers of the retina in the area of the eye used for close focus. The result is I am having real problems even reading what I am typing. The good news is that my distance vision is ok (ish), the bad news is there's not a lot they can do. The big problem is that my job is Documentation management which means I am in front of a screen all day, oh well.


I was alone for most of the weekend as Sharron was officiating at the Davis Cup tennis in Scotland. She flew back yesterday and we spent the afternomm at Welney watching the wildfowl.

The flooded grasslands provide a winter haven for migrating birds and now the trust has bought addition farmland adjacent to the main reserve it means the birds have even more space to graze.

8 comments:

  1. Oh, Gary, that not much can be done is really bad news . . . not just your job . . . but your photography too.

    I really hope there is a way through this.

    Will the people you work for make adjustments to your screen?

    When you look through a lens, are you still able to see long distance or doesn't it work like that?

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucy, I am waiting for some more tests before we do anything about screens, I can still read them but it's not easy, if I spend too long on them I get a headache. y boss is aware and has already suggested getting a bigger one, problem is I would need to get a bigger desk, or tidy this one up!!

    Binoculars and my birdwatching scope are ok. One of my cameras is autofocus the other has a split screen which I can see even if th view is a bit blurred.

    Anyway hopefully it will only last a couple of weeks.

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gary, I am so sorry to hear about the trouble with your eyes. What a pain (or, hopefully, not a pain.) Still, at least you're still functioning, unlike Blotanical!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Gary,
    Is the eye condition something that improves depending on how much you've been doing certain work with your eyes? Would it help to take vitamins they make for eye health? I'm sorry you are having to go through that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry to hear of the problems with your eyes and hope they can be corrected. I empathize, having had some issues with mine a couple years ago.
    Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to hear about your eyes. I hope the tests come back with the results you are hoping for.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry about your eyes and I really pray it can be corrected. My prayers are with you. Take care, gary

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you everyone for your kind thoughts and comments. The problem with the eye will hopefully go away gradually, although from past experience it will leave some permanent damage. `i am still waiting to get dates for additional tests.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments.