Thursday 6 November 2008

Welcome to my blog


Hi,

Well, welcome to my blog. When we moved to the village just over 2 years ago I promised myself I would set up a blog and finally here it is. The idea is to produce a garden journal and to record other events and observations from around the village. The Garden is about 150 ft long, slightly sloping and is South facing. The soil is a very heavy clay and when we moved apart from the vegetable patch was all lawn.
A short history

The first thing I did in the garden after we moved in was to attack the veg patch. No one had touched it for about 3 years so it was covered in weeds. So a fair bit of digging was needed, but by early Nov 2006 I managed to get some winter veg and garlic planted.











I garden organically although the temptation to nuke the brambles, field buttercup and their associated mates with weedkillers is a difficult one to resist.

Over the first winter I erected an 8 x12 greenhouse and dug a large semicircular flowerbed. At this time I was on a bit of a mission, we were planning to get married in April 07 and I wanted to get some colour into the garden for the wedding and for a party in the garden in July 07. this meant raising lots of annuals and didn't allow a lot of long term planning.

A year or so on I am now beginning to plan and structure the garden with a view to the future.





2 comments:

  1. Well, 1st of all, thanks for joining Blotanical and showing us the way to your lovely garden. Must admit, I've got the same issues with all the Weeds' Collective Mind and assimilation that rudely interferes with my best wishes to create anything free of weeds, even be it the lawn. And with all sorts of weedkillers lurking behind the corner, I might as well decide to cross one of these days ;-)
    Wishing you a lot more garden joys and projects, nothing could be as rewarding as painting your own masterpiece, right?

    Cheers,
    Violet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Viooltje,

    Thank you for your kind welcome and good luck with your weeds!

    I hope that this Blog and Blotanical will allow me to share my love of gardening and photography with other likeminded souls.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments.